Polruan Primary Academy is a small, caring and friendly school, situated at the very top of the village with the most fantastic views of the Fowey Estuary. Children at our school develop a love for learning in the coastal and rural environment immediately surrounding them, and use this to explore national and global issues. We are an Academy built on interdependence, encouraging all staff, pupils, parents and carers and the community, to work together to achieve more than they ever could have accomplished as individuals.
Since Autumn 2018, a working party of settings across Bridge Schools Trust have been developing the Trust approach to the Curriculum. Based on the National Curriculum, they combined research, DfE guidance, Ofsted guidance and what works well in our schools, to generate a Trust approach, which we have now embraced in our school.
• Teachers choose an enquiry based on their intimate knowledge of their class and the children take control of the enquiry through their further questions.
• The children’s work is presented in class floor books which reflect the journey of learning. The use of floor books encourages pupil’s pride and aspiration to do their very best piece of work. Pupils are encouraged to actively engage with the floor books, which enables them to reflect on their learning, commit this to long term memory and enable the transfer of both skills and knowledge.
• The progression ladders form the basis of our coverage of objectives, these allow teachers to monitor and ensure a broad, rich content. Teachers use the ladders to guide their planning once the children have generated their further questions which will shape the enquiry. Pupils ongoing progress is recorded alongside these ladders and passed on to the next class teacher.
• Visitors and trips enhance the curriculum and are used to provide first hand experiences which help support real life outcomes.
• Children will feedback on their Learning Journeys to staff, guardians and Governors; ensuring that they are key drivers for improvement.
• Leaders review the curriculum regularly using pupil’s work, progression ladders and pupil conferencing to ensure it remains language rich, diverse and develops the whole child.
View the following documents within your web browser or download to read later
We are inspired by the awe and wonder of the world.
We are bold and innovative in our approach to find new solutions to the challenges we face.
We are the best we can be.
We take responsibility for our actions in an environment of mutual respect.
We overcome all barriers to reach our potential, developing a capacity to improve further.
We are passionate about learning.
All Bridge Schools are now closed. We are operating a reduced service only for children of key workers and vulnerable groups.
© 2021 Bridge Schools trust is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales. Registration number 7736425. It is an exempt charity.